Friday, July 20, 2007

Pilot's logbook

7/20 C-152 N69011 Lou Lou Sim. hood time, level flight, level climbs, level constant climbs, descends, level turns, climbing turns & descents, constant climbs, ???? descents landings: 1; 1.0 sim instrument; 1.3 hr total; ZC

Flying with a hood was different than I expected. In some ways it was not as difficult as I thought it would be (although I can't imagine doing it while dealing with all the other issues you have to deal with). I didn't stay on target all the time. Most often it was the heading that would wander away from me. I did better with altitude consistency than I usually do.

The unexpected part was that I would "feel" level when we were 2º or 3º banked (usually to the left, and I tended to lose the heading to the left, too, I think).

I also had to work to scan instruments consistently. Attitude indicator, airspeed, attitude, VSI, attitude, altitude, attitude, RPM (listen for RPM), attitude, airspeed, attitude, VSI, attitude, altitude. If something needs fixing, start the fix, keep scanning, check for the fix next time around but don't watch the indicator while it happens.

Climb at full power, 67 knots. Descend at 1500 RPM, 70(?) kt.?

Zach was laying it on, too. He'd have me start to do something I hadn't done before and then go right into telling me something important while I was doing the first thing.

We flew toward and past the Marysville VOR station. I've seen it before, and had it explained, but now it's starting to sink in.

Lost? Read the name on the water towers.

Final landing: I came in too high, partly by accident, and partly because it was runway 6 and I was aiming a lot further down the runway than usual (displaced). We had to slip a little, and ended up with Zach doing a lot of the approach. I'm not sure exactly what made him so nervous. I didn't think it was that far off.

I'm going to ask Zach to do six landings for me tomorrow night. Hopefully he'll go along with my request to save some time by spending some time. Partially, it's the same thing I should have followed thru on with Mike, but also Zach expects something different, and it may well be that I"m working hard to do something that is counter to what he expects.

Before we went up today, I asked what, if anything, he would trust me to do by myself (solo) and he said we needed to do more landing work and mostly have calm weather, which we have not had for over a week.

Homework:
VOR
Maneuvers: landings,
Instruments

Afterwards, I went looking for Christine at Eagle Flight next door (wooden building with a nice porch), and unexpectedly found Brandon there. He was hanging out with Brian and Azziz, and is now working out of Mike Pratt's establishment on the other side of the airport. Brian gave me Christine's phone number, and said she works mostly mornings.

No comments: