Friday, July 13, 2007

Pilot's logbook

7/13 C-15 N69011 Lou Lou Slow Flight, Power -on -off stalls, S-turns across a road sim. engine out procedures, x-wind landings landings:3 1.3 hours ZC

Zach had different specific things that he expects. I'm listing:

Hold altitude at 1700 further than we have been, almost to the river.

When we went up toward the practice area, I thought he wanted me to head straight for the Madison Power Plant towers, which I did, but that takes us over Kentucky, and actually he later said its' better to go up the Indiana side. Over Kentucky also puts us near a really large tower, one I've noticed before, but don't usually fly near.

He has specific RPM's for slow flight, which actually makes it easier to practice, and is pretty specific about carb heat off and on. ON whenever you're in the white arc. Take it out (off) for stall recovery, before flaps go up.

Zach told me he'd just not be in the plane on the way back, and if I hadn't talked to him at all, and had just handled everything, I'da been soloing afterwards. But I didn't.

Next time. for sure. I'm practicing stalls and emergency landings on the X-Plane (flight simulator) which I've never done before, not realizing that it could be useful. I also figured out that if I hold the joystick at the bottom of the handle, it functions a lot more like a real plane, so that's a BIG improvement.

My goals for this week are 1) Do what it takes to solo. Practice approaches, departures, radio, procedures. 2)Learn the navigation and cross-country chapters in Jepessen and Gleim. 3) Channel it! ;)

No comments: