Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Piano teaching, etc.

I went with Debbie to a music teachers' workshop at Gist piano.

It was thinly-disguised advertisement for Steinway, but still valuable.

My notes are on the iPhone. maybe I should copy them here.

If nothing else, he had a bunch of handouts that I can copy and send home, one at a time, to my students' parents. The usual topic is why bother to learn music. I ordered two videos that I can send home with parents, as well. The time was well-spent to get on the same page with Debbie, and also the donuts and lunch were very good.

I'm setting up my lesson schedule. Youth Choir will be during school this year, on Wednesday mornings. I'm changing my lesson schedule to Wednesday and Thursday afternoons and evenings. I can go to Bardstown, have the YC classes, Debbie can be available to work with accompanists or others, then I'll be stuck in Bardstown until afternoon, but it will be two days in a row, so maybe I'll concentrate better, and be more free with the rest of the week.

Mr. Proctor called last night and said the motor for my engine has been sold to someone else. He can't find another for less than $1400, and the car would not be worth it. I told him I'd call back in a day or two. Talking with Debbie, though, I realized that Amy's car will be sitting here all winter, so maybe I can use it and avoid having to rush into something like buying a new car.

I missed my flight lesson today because I didn't check the time until afternoon. I can't believe that. Zach said never mind. (I guess I'll have to pin him down on a bad-weather day for some ground school to make it up to him.)

Frank is out of town tonight and tomorrow. I finished up the final Harry Potter book. It was a satisfying read, with enough surprises to be good, characters well-portrayed, and an ending that was consistent with the rest of the story on both the adult-reader level and the little-kid level.

No comments: