Saturday, June 30, 2007

Pilot's logbook

6/30 C-152 N69011 Lou Lou Touch&go's landings: 12 1.4 hr ZC

1:00 Met Zach at the plane just outside Air Center One. I watched him fill up the fuel tanks. When I went out to preflight, I skipped the hop up on top to look in. When he came out he did a quick but complete walk around the plane, not touching, but looking at everything. He DID hop up on top to check those tanks that he'd just filled. Instructive. I like it.

I'm not sure whether Zach knew both reasons I was going up with him. (I know the other guys were wondering). I only addressed one of them with Zach. I told him I was having trouble at the final approach and landing, esp. flare and control at the last. This was a good idea, to go up with someone else.

I talked thru everything I was doing, which might be useful to do more of, anyway. I'm going to make a quick list of little things that we tried/did/talked about today, so I don't forget.

Hot weather: Instead of priming, pump the throttle in/out/in/out just before starting it. It worked like a charm, unlike the other day when I felt as if I was out with my lawn mower, which laughs at me when I try to start it.

Hot weather: 10ยบ flaps on takeoff.

Go up to 1000ft. before beginning turn on climbout (we didn't, but he does.)

Before turn to base, pitch for 80 knots, even if it's a gain in airspeed. 70 knots on turn to final, 60 on approach.

Use of power on landing--ballooning,

There was a lot more. I should have made notes sooner. It was an comfortable session.

The real payoff: Displaced thresholds <--------- !!!!!!! Mystery solved, embarrassing as it is.

I solemnly promise (and I feel capable of promising this, now) that I am not going to get caught in any more "miscommunications" like that.

By the book.

"It sure was good to get down and open the windows!"--ZC

No comments: