Thursday, June 07, 2007

pilot's logbook

6/7 C-152 Lou Lou Turns@point, S-turns, XW Landing. Wind 15kn, gusting 32kn MB

Today was a busy day. I started by meeting Beth and the boys for a visit to the Nelson Co. library and then lunch on the grass outside their beautiful stained-glass KY window.

The a piano lesson for Alex, and one for Conor. I had promised Conor's little brother and sister (Erin & Finn) that we'd have another parade (march around the room to a steady beat, playing on instruments). I figured it would be more fun with Ben and Alex, too, and that way Beth could meet another family taking music lessons. Well, we couldn't find the key to the closet to get the instruments, so it didn't work out quite as well as planned, but it will probably stay in our schedule and we'll be glad we did.

Alex played amazingly (Hold That Tiger) and Conor is coming along great. Good rhythm, good musical sense, technique and independence from both of the boys.

Then either Gabrielle or I mixed up the time of her lesson. I thought she just missed, and didn't call, but they showed up at the next time slot, when Sharon had already started. Rats.

Sharon's lesson was exceptionally good, too. She's doing things she really couldn't do a few months ago--reading, counting & rhythm.

Elizabeth B had a good lesson, and then I zipped out the door to drive to Bowman Field stuck behind slow drivers all the way in Bardstown Rd.

I actually made it on time, barely, and then didn't have to feel bad about coming in at the last minute because Mike was catching a bite to eat, so we took our time and talked about the plan for the lesson--too much wind for touch&go's, so turns around point and S-turns, which were new to me. That was pleasant.

After that, it was a strange lesson in that I did a number of really dorky things (radio, checklists & directions), which really contrasted with an otherwise better-than-usual flying experience. I'm putting all this stuff in this journal entry in for the day I come back to it and figure out what the conflict is. I think Amy's the only one who reads this blog, so that's ok. I'm listing little details because I want to figure out what led to what.

It was hot, 90+ยบ, but not really uncomfortable, except when the doors were closed before takeoff. I pre-flighted the plane quickly, and when Mike came he asked about fuel and oil, I said they were good, and he said "tire pressure?" and I said they look as good as they ever do, which wouldn't be good enough to have on our car. Then (remembering the carbon on the spark plugs the other day) I said something about maybe it was good for me to be flying a cantankerous plane, so if anything was going to go wrong on it, it could happen now. I was thinking about not having experience with engines, so if I'm going to recognize problems, I will probably help to see them now, when there's somebody else to recognize them. For some reason, that hit Mike more seriously than I ever expected. It was like you DON'T SAY THAT, it would, what? be a jinx? Actually, he compared it to making jokes about bouncing on landings in front of the owners of the plane.

Mike got in and said something about sunglasses (he's been joking it's time to get me a pair 'cause all pilots have cool sunglasses) , so I pulled out my "retro" pair. That was kindof fun.

I was doing the checklist out loud, I think, and then at the last item I got ready to call Bowman Ground, which was wrong since I hadn't listened to the ATIS yet, and didn't have what I needed to make the call. Did I actually start to call it? Maybe not.

So--fixed that, called it in, got clearance to taxi, responded OK and remembered what ATC said, then tried to think which runway was 24. Mike couldn't believe it, said if I didn't know that we should just get out of the plane. I just said, "there's a sign," and started to taxi, didn't do it very well (up too close in the seat). We talked about other things on the way out the taxiway--spinach & peanut butter sandwiches, vegetarians, etc. I pulled off to do before-take-off runup, and at some point, MIke took the list and told me he really needed to hear me say each item on the list, and to call off the results. He might have been annoyed, but it's hard to tell. OK. No big deal, right? (That IS the spot where I didn't catch the engine not running well last time.)

Done with that, we're to the last item on the list again, Get Tower Clearance For Takeoff. So, I reach for the mike button to do that, but, we haven't pulled up to the hold short line, so I do that. Then, I'm going to call for the clearance. I press the button, start to talk, and can't remember our ID number. I can't see it because we've got the ailerons turned into the wind and it covers up the number on the dashboard, and I don't think fast enough to find it. So I'm on the radio, saying something like "Bowman Tower, Cessna....ah.... shoot...." and then let go, which is a major no-no. Mike's really embarrassed. I mean really, really. He makes the call, hoping they don't know it was us that made the first one.

Takeoff is fine, heading up to Indiana is good, really fast with a tailwind. I'm flying ok even with lots of wind and gusts, and holding altitude, and mostly holding heading in spite of being bumped off it quite a few times. We do turns around point around the white and blue tower, and Mike says they're good, and we're having a good time. Then S-turns over a road. It's fun. Then slow flight, which I do fine, and we get it to where the plane is in a headwind, not moving over the ground at all. Mike crows, "It's like a helicopter--you believe it?" Then a stall and stall recovery, which is smooth. We talk about judging distances, what we think they are, and what they look like. So that was good.

Next thing, going back to Bowman. I turn over 12-mile island, thinking it's 6-mile island (gotta either find the RED roofs beside it, or check it with downtown Louisville). Besides, can you see the airport? Today was a clear day, and you actually could see the Kaden Tower and the airport from Six-Mile Island, but some days I can't see it from there, so it didn't tip me off when I couldn't. Once we got to Six-Mile Island I did radio ok. We came in on 24 on a long right base, call at 2 miles, aim for the center. Mike actually brought the plane down, big crosswind.

Lists and radio. Mike said something about "that other Maggie was scaring me, and you don't even curse," comparing that to flying pretty well the rest of the time.

"Oh Lord, put a guard over my mouth. Keep watch at the door of my lips."

Still, we were easy and comfortable afterwards, getting a laugh when Tony pointed to a little green Vespa tied to a post besides Mike's motorcycle and saying he traded one for the other, etc. I got out in time to take the long route back to Bardstown (I-65& 245) which got me there in about 50 minutes.

Fr. Bill Medley's 25th anniversary--multiple choirs and dancers. I played flute, and last night at rehearsal I played (mostly improvising) better than I've done in years, if ever. Tonight was almost as good, and people were all talking to me about it, even Frank Z made a point to say something, which I can take as a real compliment.

Weird day. Polar opposites. The highs are high, and the lows are really low.

Oh. And I went into Hawkins this morning to pay for gas with my belt hanging unbuckled. That's an unthinkable social blunder.

I just tried to look up a reference on Wikipedia to an article about RightBrain/LeftBrain function and immaturity that manifests itself when a person is using the non-dominant hemisphere. It's not where I remember it, which might be that it has been removed from the article, since it was in there with a cautionary statement such as "the articile by ___ is not accepted by...." Maybe Google search history can help.

I've spent over an hour poking around on this blog entry, listening to myself ruminate. I had planned to tackle the next chapter in Jeppesen.

Before tomorrow's lesson I need to: Sing that runup checklist. Sing the friggin tail number. Sing the radio calls. Get up with Frank to have time to hit Jeppesen hard.

Tomorrow evening I'm going to hang out with Natalie, and she says she'll help me study. We can do oral from the flashcards.

Whenever I pick it up, I'm having a hard time putting down "Fate is the Hunter." It's an account of an airline / Air Transport Corps pilot before and during WWII.

No comments: