Sunday, May 27, 2007

Resurréxi, et adhuc tecum sum, alleluia:

This is a Gregorian Chant setting of a text from Psalm 138. It's really short, so I'll teach you the words.

One word (or set of words) that you should know before we start are Latin words for "you." Te, tu, tuam, and tua are all versions of the word "you."

Latin words can be found in a different order than English, for instance, "your hand" is "manum tuam."

Resurréxi, "I awake"

et adhuc tecum sum "and you are with me."

posuísti "position"
super me "above me, over me, on me."
manum tuam "your hand."

"You place your hand over me"--that's the action, what's the meaning?
"I am protected."?
"I am loved."?
"I am cherished."?

mirábilis facta est "what a miraculous fact"
est sciéntia tua "is this knowledge of you."
--often translated as: "This knowledge is too wonderful for me."

Is there any better expression of contentment/fulfillment/satisfaction in a reality radiantly new?

Click here to listen.

Resurréxi, et adhuc tecum sum, alleluia:
posuísti super me manum tuam, alleluia:
mirábilis facta est sciéntia tua, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.


One other thing I wanted to tell you about this. Did you wonder where this chant could be found?

In our Church's liturgy, this chant is the Introit (the Entrance Song) for Easter Sunday. I find that delightful.

1 comment:

amy lou said...

Sounds really nice, Mom. Thanks for the Latin lesson, too :).