Thursday, May 10, 2007

pilot's logbook

5/9/07 C152 N69011. Lou to Lou. Stalls, Slowflight, Slips, T/O, Landing 1.4 hr

I talked to Tony during pre-flight. He used to be an engineer--worked there for years, waiting for 5:00 so he could go flying. He asked me if there was anything he could do to make it better for me. Asked me if I was considering this as a second career, says for most people flying is a second, or something done just for the fun of it. Interesting that he said that, since I spent the past day wrestling with the question in a practical way. Kellie called me about Pat B's brother's funeral (a day and a half in advance), but I had a lesson scheduled. I couldn't get hold of Mike to rearrange, and didn't want to leave him hanging, or anybody who counts on the income, so I decided to say no. When I actually saw Mike, he pretty much encouraged me to go ahead and plan to be at the funeral. Long story short, Kellie got someone from Etown to do it, and, you know what? That's ok. That's not my life anymore, and it hasn't been for at least three years, and maybe this is permission to let go. These drag-on parish contacts are not real. I like them when they happen, and they pay well, but there's always this guilt that I'm not doing the real work. I put on the persona, but I really miss being the persona. Why even go there? Someday I'll be too old to fly, and Frank will be retired, and all that stuff will still be there for us. If it's right, maybe we'll find it together.

I had this imaginary conversation with Mike this morning. About how prayer could actually be as exciting/compelling/fulfilling as good flying. I remember that to be true, but God is not on my shoulder connecting me to the universe with music and prayer anymore.

There's something familiar, though, about that gorgeous river and earth below and a tangible sky opening its secrets to me/us through tiny touches of fingertip on 011's controls.

Why do we practice slow flight? precision flying with reduced effectiveness of controls;

hold heading. hold altitude. hold airspeed at 45 knots or less ...

Altitude is primarily enabled with power.
Airspeed is primarily enabled with pitch.

Carburator ice. Top Gun.

Sat in the plane and talked afterwards. Learning to fly safely & well & with precision vs. passing the test. Need answers. Feedback.

Jeppesen Private Pilot Maneuvers.

Really good session. Really good. I lucked out with this instructor.

No comments: