Wednesday, May 16, 2007

pilot's logbook

5/15/07 C-152 N69011 LOU LOU XW T/O, stalls, steep turns, unusual attitudes, slow flight, landings. 1 landing, 1.4 hr

*20º bank on departure & final. Rudder & coordination. The four forces. Serious DRAG. (grin)

Did I know I have to take a written test? I said yes, but I was thinking about the big one. There's something written for pre-solo and I don't know what it is. Better find out.

*Write down ATIS info.

Just before takeoff, Mike pointed to a bird headed straight up the runway in front of us, flying in place in the headwind.

Hazy, climbed to 5500 feet to get above haze, higher than I remember being. 30º turns using outside horizon, one of the neatest things I've ever done. It stuck with me all day. Even up above the haze, there were a few really small scattered clouds.

trim
slow flight
stalls

*need to be able to do the setup faster for stall recovery & slow flight

If we’re going to do slow flight, go on and start flaps down once we reach 85 knots.

Stall recovery: full power, coordinate, relax controls somewhat at the very beginning of the stall recovery (but not nose down, either.) Repeat 2x.

Unusual attitudes: "Close your eyes, I'll change things, then you fix them." First time, I thought he meant fix it all without opening my eyes. It was interesting to do that. Mike thought it was funny, but actually I'd like to try it that way some more. Mike could probably do any of these maneuvers with his eyes closed. I wonder whether he's tried.

* “right base to runway 24.” reciprocal

Study: Forces of flight. Airports.

No comments: