Saturday, May 05, 2007

pilot's logbook

Touch & Go's .9hr

I had an appointment this morning to get my eyes checked (annual) and got contacts instead of updating my glasses. I had a heck of a time putting them in (which is why I haven't been wearing them all these years), but couldn't believe how they absolutely disappear once you get them in. Can't feel them at all, just see distance. I can't get bifocal contacts (something to do with astigmatism in one eye) so the rub is that when I'm wearing them, I can see well at a distance (and so much better looking around) but to read a sheet of paper in my hand or music on the piano or the computer screen, I have to wear reading glasses. We'll see how this goes. I was hoping it might fix my problem with seeing the music at HNB, but it doesn't look as if it will. I might just wear them for flying. I do like them a lot for being outside.

Low ceiling. Would have cancelled, but it's ok for touch-and-go, which is fine with me. First we talked a little about weather, then about landing pattern airspeeds and such.

Then I asked how anyone could ever afford to rent a plane for a trip. Turns out you don't pay by the hour, but by the time flown--for instance, you would likely have the plane for 7 days, but you only pay for the hours it flies. Alternatively, there are some places (for instance, someone in Lexington) where you rent for a flat fee and your gas. So it is possible.

Today's touch & go:
Rotate at 50kt, climb at 67kt to 800 ft, turn (shallow bank) crosswind to continue. Continue at 67kt to pattern altitude (1300 ft) after downwind turn. When you reach altitude, bring the nose down first, then adjust the power back (something like 2200 rpm).

Abeam of the runway (85kt max) add carb heat, 10º flaps, nose down, adjust throttle back. Go for 500 fpm descent at 60 knots. Turn base (shallow bank, keep descending), add 10º flaps, nose down, throttle back. Airspeed 60kn. Turn final, line up with the center of the runway, add 10º flaps, nose down, power back, 60kn, adjust glide path according to the lights, throttle back to idle after passing trees.

At one wingtip length above ground, level out. At a few inches above ground (ha!) bring the nose up, hold it there, and let the plane settle itself down. Bouncing not preferable.

To go round again, carb heat in, full throttle.

I just explained all this to Frank, and didn't have to stop and think at all. Mike says it will be different when we're not dodging Derby Day traffic and can just do it over and over.

The blimp was right there, and planes coming and going from Churchill Downs to pick up their signs (advertising).

There was a parking lot FULL of small (well, I guess that's relative) jets. We wondered if piloting one of them for the rich and famous folks would be neat or if it would be like being a bus driver where you spend a lot of time cleaning up after the partiers have gone. Mike says he'd do it anyway, no hesitation there.

What else? When you follow a jet in, you come in higher and land past the place where he landed so that you don't hit his wake.

When I got out of the plane, I remembered that I was wearing contacts, which I had completely forgotten, so that seems to have checked out ok.

I didn't space out on the radio this time, not that I did much radio, either.
Very enjoyable session.

Questions for next time:

How much "nose-up" are we supposed to have at touchdown? Have I been way under? Or just a little? Did I land on the front wheel?

Why was I wobbling on final approach? It happened most of the time. Mike says it's weird. He and I may not be seeing "center of the runway" as the same position, other than that I can't think of anything.

(Unrelated to touch and go) I want to see (feel) if it flies straight with one wing raised and rudder to hold on course (as in clearing before manuevering). I think I need to revisit rudder in general.

No comments: