Monday, October 15, 2007

Pilot's logbook

10/15/07 Monday 8:00 C-152 N89933 LOU-JVY-LOU TG's :) landings:9 1.4 hours solo
10/15/07 Monday 12:30 PM C-152 N89933 LOU-BAK-LOU landings:2 Cross-country. 2.1 hours

Early morning trip to Clark County. No one else there at first. Seven perfect landings, one that I tried something different. Still a good one, just not perfect.

(No wind. No one in the way.)

When I went back, I checked to see whether Dane's frog was still on the plane. It was. Next time I'm in there by myself I'll move the frog to another place on the poster and deny I did it.

No one else needed the plane all day, so I planned another trip to Clark County, and Todd signed me off.

The weather was Clear Sky all around, with some low visibility and rain coming in tonight. Actually, there was a cloud layer at about 6000 that wasn't expected to be there, and a visibility issue that cleared up, but had me wondering.

For some reason, the trickiest part of the path for me to "see" on the ground is picking up I-65 right after Clark County. I waffled around a little bit on that one, could have just gone for the VOR radial from Bowman, but I didn't. Still, there's more time on my tach than I expected, and this is the only place it could have been.

Columbus was there. I didn't see the ___ airport at all, coming up on the Columbus airport, and wondering if I was looking at the right one, and exactly how big Columbus was. I went higher to look it over, decided it was the right one, slipped the plane down to pattern altitude and came right in right for the landing. Just right.

After I pulled off the runway, I was deciding whether to just go on back or to stop, when tower asked me if I needed directions. I told them I was considering going to the restaurant for lunch, and he said I'd have to get a move on, they close at 2:00.

So I ate lunch (a cup of white chili and vanilla creme pie with strawberries), and then went on back.

The return trip was completely uneventful. I-65 and the VOR and all my checkpoints were there. I didn't go all the way up to 5,500 as planned, because there was a layer of broken clouds above me and I judged I needed to stay at or below 5000 to keep out of the turbulence right under that layer. At this point I realized that I am ok flying by myself, but I'm not ready to have an inexperienced passenger along. I think if they were nervous, which they might be, I'd have more than I can handle.

FMI.

Upon arriving at Bowman Field, tower gave me "Midfield Right Downwind for 24" which screwed me up so badly the other day. Well, I've certainly thought about it enough. It was not as easy as the usual approaches, but I did it correctly. Ka-Ching!

Todd asked me about it as soon as I came down. It felt good to have a good reply.

No comments: