Friday, October 12, 2007

pilot's logbook

10/12/07 8:00 PM LOU JVY LOU ................ landings: 7? to full stop. TH

Originally the plan was a night cross country to Lexington. I planned and practiced and got ready, but the weather, while always "VFR," had a low ceiling about 4500-5000 ft. The briefer figured it would break up, but really, it didn't.

Instead of the cross-country, Todd and I went to Clark County for a bunch of landings. Night flying is as fascinating as I'd hoped it would be. Finding the airport is hard. The green and white beacon is nowhere near as visible as I'd thought. Todd is pointing straight at it, saying "green. white. green. white..." and I'm not seeing it at all in the sea of lights. The runways don't stand out, and look a lot like roads, if anything.

And Clark County Airport, which in daylight is surrounded by bucolic green farm land, has a zillion lights around it at night. It's hard to believe you're in the same place.

I checked out my flashlights, figured out the little one is not bright enought except as an attachment to the pencil. For cross country, I'll need a more visible watch face, which is true for daylight as well.

Bill helped us out with his headlights. Todd kept track of the landings.

No comments: