Saturday, October 13, 2007

pilot's logbook

10/13/07 1:30 N89933 LOU JVY LOU landings: 5 .8 hours PIC

This morning I came in early hoping to go up in the plane, but Todd wasn't up until 10 . He and I talked and I do have permission to take the plane in calm wind from here to Clark County for TG's and back. OR TG's here.

I manned the phone at AC1 all morning. Then, at 1;30 I took 933 up for a spin. The plane felt light, unsteady and really jouncy. I guess it was just thermals, but it was weird. I also remembered Mr. Whipple's saying that the 933 didn't seem to have much power. I couldn't pin it down to rpms, though.

Takeoff was fine. Getting to river crossing and contacting UNICOM for airport advisory was ok. She said they were using 32, on which I've never landed. I was starting to think through the approach, when a couple of other guys had a conversation about taking off on 36 and taking off on 18 and taking off on 32 and deciding that they'd start using 36. OK, good. I was happy to be able to cross midfield and come in normal.

When I did, there was someone else entering downwind, so I figured I'd not try to turn in front of him, and instead, stayed above pattern, went on past, made a big turn to the right and entered downwind after that. I don't know if that's what was expected or not, but ok.

Then I went to make the landing, and it was horrible. Why? The plane was jouncy and I kept thinking "Is it me?" "What am I doing?" Go -around. Try again. I think the next one was not bad. Then again, and for some reason I was really off. That was enough. I went home. When I came in over Six-Mile Island, tower gave me "enter midfield right downwind for 24." I was glad it was a full pattern entry, but to enter midfield from where I was was weird. Heading for the middle of the airport from where I was had me entering at a sharp 45º turn left, not the usual 135º angle that you turn to make a 45. I did it, but misfigured and was too close to the runway. Then I made that leg longer to compensate, but still came in at a big overshoot for final, so didn't even try to descend, but called a go-around. I can't figure how I could have come in any other way, given the directions, but maybe I'm missing something.

Then I went around again and did another approach and landing. I don't remember whether I did the approach all right, but the landing was gentle, so I called a day and went on in.

Evan met me to help put the plane up. There was a barbecue sandwich and coke waiting.

Then it was on to St. Joe for church. Jim Fitzpatrick was cantor, and that's always a pleasure. Afterwards, he told me, "If you were as good a plumber as you are a musician, I'd hire you." I wish I was as good a pilot as I am a musician.

The plan is: Every morning, wind calm, 1/2-hour flight to CC and back. Maybe one or two TG's. Every morning. Routine. Routine. No biggie.

1 comment:

amy lou said...

routine. sounds good!