Saturday, September 22, 2007

Pilot's logbook

9/21 C-152- N69011 Lou Lou First trip to practice area by myself. BEAUTIFUL! LNDG: 1 0.5 hr solo 7:30 AM TH

Smooth air, fog on low ground, 3? 5? mile visibility. I went to Southern Indiana, did simple stuff: altitude, turns (it felt like dancing), forward slips (without losing heading). Simple stuff. Going and coming, find your way home. All smooth.

Thank you, Todd!

AC1: phones & invoices. Evan's 16th birthday. 1:00 checked out. Todd asked me whether I wanted some taxiing experience. I taxiied 011 over to the new T-hangers (#51) so he could change the oil. I enjoyed being with him in the middle of his tools and all those things he does so well. Tony and Dane came, found more stuff to do.Dane introduced me to the new Champ that lives next door. Beautiful! Then Tony asked me to taxi 011 back to AC1, bring back 933 (which was up in the sky, so I couldn't.)(radio--one digit off)


After I was back, I talked with Zach about the afternoon flying time I had scheduled. He said I should build solo hours & experience.

9/21 C-152 N69011 Lou Lou Touch & Go's. Bumpy, jetwake, tailwind landing. YES!! Landings: 4 1.0 hr.

Winds had been reported as "calm," but the air was bumpy as s__t with thermals and varying winds. ) The very first time around, they gave me a right approach, which I didn't do very well, and just decided to go around and get started better. 3 times I didn't land, but did go-around (bad approach, jet wake, bounce). All the others were OK or good. I touched down right at 1000 ft. once & took off immediately at Vx to clear the trees. One of the good landings was with a crosswind. At one point I realized that they were calling winds @6 knots, and my sign-off didn't allow for that. I thought maybe I should go back in, but by the time it was time to land, I heard another report that said winds 5. So I stayed out. It was worth it to get that feeling of being charge and being able to work with anything that I needed to. I never felt out-of-control or worried. I had a definite tailwind on the last landing.

When I came down, Stephen came out to help me put the plane up. Todd brought me out a cold can of tea. Zach was not to be seen, but as I write this, I just called him on the phone & he was upstairs at AC1. He said he'd watched and the landings were good, also the go-arounds. I put in a call to Frank and to Mike's answering machine. Today is the real solo!!!!

I'm sitting on Brian's porch at Eagle Aviation waiting for the traffic to clear out to go home.


----------------
Now playing: Paul McCartney - Blackbird
via FoxyTunes

No comments: