Friday, November 05, 2004

"What Barry Says" video text


The United States of America is the most powerful nation on Earth.
in itself, this goes a long way to explaining the things it does around the world.
At present it is conducting a War On Terror
or, more accurately,
a campaign against opposition to U.S. domination.

Others prefer to call it the beginnings of the Third World War

The United States has an insatiable appetite for conflict,
and since going into Korea in the 1950’s,
it’s been at war with someone or other,
in some corner of the globe, nonstop,
right up to the present day.

This drive is now led by the weapons manufacturers themselves.
It is highly dangerous precedent.
I call it “War Corporatism.”
It is the door of a new fascism being pushed open.

And don’t be fooled, not all fascism looks like Adolph Hitler.

The reality,
as we see from the Iraqi invasion,
is that the Presidency has been captured
by the most powerful elements of this Corporatism.
And this ghastly molecule aims to turn the world
into its very own enslaved global market,
and the plan is well on the way.

The attack by AlQaeda on the World Trade Center
is just one response to it.

Is this a conspiracy?
Quite the opposite.

It is a high-profile project known as
The Project for A New American Century
.

People like Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Richard Perle,
are the major players
among politicians, right-wing thinkers,
militarists and industrialists,
in the creation of the project.
The project is a neo-conservative manifesto,
which includes in its toolbox
an unbridled use of war
in clearing a path for U.S. interests.

The will to attack Iraq came entirely from this visible, yet sinister, group.
Sept 11 was merely the pretext.
Bush is merely the figurehead.

And so, who’s next, you wonder?

Iran? Korea? France? Britain?
None of us really matter to them.

1 comment:

Maggie Hettinger said...

I didn't know that. In fact, it never occurred to me to look for the Patriot Act as a document. I read most of the 9/11 Commission Report, and it left my mind swimming. I never realized our country was so casually violent to so many others. It's a whole nother world, and it involves a lot of vigilance to keep abreast of it at all.

A handful of years ago, I was in my homemade "seminary" years, and I was in a different world, one of prayer, scripture, liturgy, and people's spiritual needs. It was intense, exhilirating, huge, and all-encompassing. Somehow it contained the workings of the Universe in the same nuanced language that governed tiny understandings and simple choices.

Then, things changed, and I took a job (with the Church) but I changed. I was on the road a lot and I started listening to the radio again. Gradually THAT world came into focus again, and it is huge, but not as huge as the former one. The "real" ordinary world is big, complicated, demanding, and somehow blocks off the sacred world.

Why don't they coexist?

The strange dichotomy of the election is related to that dichotomy I find in myself. My political self says the last election was won, in a large part, by something insular, bigoted, self-centered. But I also realize that that same something recognizes that it is in touch with the sacred.

Liberal visionaries can be in touch with the sacred, too, surely, but I, right now, can't seem to put the two worlds together. One cancels out the other.