Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Lake Tahoe, IUEC Conference (Elevator Constructors)


Several hours above and beyond Shirley Lake, looking down from 1984 Olympic High Camp. Posted by Hello

Christian and his friends offered to show me the road. I said I'd like to do that, but my walking speed wasn't as fast as theirs. They offered to wait, if necessary. They treked on. I huffed and puffed. They headed straight up the middle of the snow fields. My tennis shoes would NOT do snow without slipping, so I zig-zagged around when possible, dug in with an abandoned ski pole when I had to. Eventually, I pointed up to a black machine thing and said, "If I'm at that thing, will I see the road?" They said yes, so I thanked them and they went on. I went on more slowly, and more zig-zagged, but at some point I was about 20 feet below the "top," with nothing but a wall of snow between myself and it. I found a small piece of wood, and with that in my right hand and the ski pole in my left, I dug into the snow and pulled myself up it. What a great adventure! (No real danger. I could alway just have gone back the other way.)

No comments: