Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Lake Tahoe, IUEC Conference (Elevator Constructors)

I spent the morning scoping out possible hiking trails. I found one that walked for 17 miles over mountain crest trail. It ended at Tahoe Meadows. The distance seems far, but it doesn't look like much elevation change, just an all-day stroll. Frank would have to take me there early and pick me up, so I located the trailheads. I hope to do this on Thursday. I took the Tahoe Meadows trail. Stunningly beautiful.

I spent the afternoon reading from Laura's
2003 State of the World
from the WorldWatch Institute. It's rich reading--up-to-date analysis of our society's relationships with ecology.

After reading "Watching Birds Disappear", by Howard Youth, I learned that birds are a 'marker' of good ecology. I penned this:

Convert tobacco subsidies to wild-bird habitat farming. Choose bird species that are markers for good Kentucky ecology. Paid according to success--# of birds.

People who already receive tobacco subsidies would be randomly chosen over a 5-year span. They may decline IF another tobacco-subsidy entity volunteers to take their place. If not, they simply lose their subsidies. Provide incentives for 1st years, decreasing.

Include suppliers and secondary benifitters of tobacco-growing and marketing. Consider a counter-incentive, i.e., 95% of current tobacco producers will be included over the 5 years. (YOU COULD LOSE OUT). Decisions made by random selection & volunteering.

I also watched a public-TV show with a motivational speaker. Crazy thing to do at a resort? No. We can't get public TV at our house. sigh.

No comments: