Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Benedictus es Domine.mp3


Blessed art thou, O LORD, teach me thy statues With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth. Psalm 118(119), 12.13 Graduale Triplex 277 Posted by Hello

Latin text:
Benedictus es, Domine, doce me iustificationes tuas:
benedictus es, Domine, doce me iustificationes tuas,
in labis meis pronuntiavi omnia iudicia oris tui.


English text:
Blessed art thou, O Lord, teach me thy statutes.
With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.

Chant source:
Psalm 119:12,13
Graduale Triplex pg. 277
Offertory for 6th week in Ordinary Time

This chant is an example of what's so compelling about singing chant from the Graduale. This chant is a plea to be taught the way of Christ, the Way of the Gospel, the Way of the universe.

It has such a plaintive, humble feel. (I think Dom Turco would call it Type B, of the three types of chant-modes.) Contrast that with the proud, "we are the body," "we have it all, we are special" feel that so much of our currently-sung parish music proclaims.

This chant is what I feel a need to express, at least at this point in my life.

No comments: