Thursday, January 24, 2008

Pilot's logbook

1/23 PA28-161 N8316E LOU LOU Slow Flight, Power on/off stalls under the hood, unusual attitude recovery procedure, VOR 24 approach. Zach. 1.1 hr sim instrument 1.0

Not scanning yet.

Unusual attitudes, I recover quickly.

I need to practice stalls before we do it again. X-plane will do.

VOR approach 24, I didn't get it at all. I was spatially disoriented. I mean, where were we? We'd been wandering out in the practice field doing turns and such. None of those numbers or dials translated into anything I could grab on to. When Zach asked me to figure VOR intercepts, he suggested going the wrong way, and I took his advice. From the time we started on that, I never got the sense of where we were, and where we were going.

Afterwards, we talked about it. Next time, I'm taking the VFR chart. If I were flying for real, I'd have it, and I'd know where I was supposed to be, anyway.

We're following the Jeppesen syllabus, so I can prep better.

Also, I'm studying with Martha King. She's good.
I made my reservations for San Diego Women in Aviation Conference. Flight will cost $400, conference $300-something, and I'll go ahead of time to visit with Bill and Sinman.

No comments: