Monday, April 23, 2007

pilot's logbook



XW T/O, Landings, steep turns. Turns around a point. Wind correction.
(I'm making these notes way too late. It's actually Thursday night the 26th. Gotta do better, maybe before I go anywhere else after the lesson.)

* I made sure my hair was our of the way of the headset, and that made a big difference.

* Better control of the plane today. At least one of the 360 degree turns was right on. There wasn't a clear horizon line, so I watched the inside controls a more, but I'm looking forward to a clear day.

* It does help that I figured out that to hold a particular airspeed you nose down to make the needle go down and pull up to make the needle go up (on the right hand side of the dial where I am anyway). Along with that, Mike says the actual airspeed doesn't matter that much as long as it's within a range. (pretty much in the green)(?)

* Joy! I suddenly understood how easy it can be to keep track of the wind direction by looking at the numbers on the heading indicator. If the wind is from 180 deg, you just see how 180 relates to the graphic of the airplane. (Mike's scratching his head here. Actually, he doesn't give much away in the way of reactions. Maybe being a CFI teaches you to be really laid back.)

* When we were talking about avoiding other traffic, Mike told me about his friend Chris (who I actually met when I was at Clark Co. Airport with Barry last week.) He complimented Chris, saying he was an excellent pilot. I think I asked him in what way, and Mike said Chris was the kind of person who really knows everthing there is to know about piloting, and if you ask him a question he doesn't know the answer to, he'll dig until he finds it.

* Mike says he (Mike) is different. He's ok with saying "I don't know," he'd rather be flying the planes. I like that.

* Thank goodness I hadn't eaten breakfast. We were considering setting down at Clark County. Annoying.

* Insight after the fact: that cockpit is really small. It's way too easy to be in somebody else's space and not realize it.

Like the picture of our plane? Google has everything.

No comments: