Thursday, April 26, 2007

3 packages in the mail

I received a marvelous package from Alex R. this morning. He sent books and photos. The books are "The Proficient Pilot," by Barry Schiff, "Fate is the Hunter," by Ernest K. Gann, "Rod Machado's Plane Talk," and "Wind, Sand and Stars," by Antione de Saint Exupery. As I wrote back to Alex, I've been grinning ear-to-ear ever since I opened the box. I headed off to work with SaintExupery in my day planner, and I admit to reading it it church.

Alex's photos are his own--flying a B-17, a P-51 Mustang, and most of all his regular job--flying the C-46 in Alaska. I've got them playing on my iMac right now.

My second box was my $25 copy of the Jeppesen "Private Pilot Manual." Mike recommends it, and I can give Barry's back to him. I can see why they like it. I actually feel as if I understand the mechanical sections, so it's got to be good.

The third package was music for all the beginning piano students I'm signing up. Funny thing, all the students I inherited from Amy have been girls. These new kids are all boys. I think I'll schedule summer lessons kindof like they do the flying lessons. It might be a better way to handle all the unpredictability of summer so I won't end up tied down for hours when people don't show up. I'm applying some of the other non-flying things I picked up from Mike and am amazed at how well it works. I think I was in a rut and I'm waking up from it.

If Mike hadn't been wearing his salesman hat when I wandered into Air Center One looking for ground school, I wonder where I would be now? Maybe just somewhere else, but likely I would have let the whole flying thing fizzle out instead of jumping (falling) in.

I'm behind in my notes. Hopefully I'll get last lesson jotted down before I go tomorrow. Hopefuly the weather and karma will cooperate. Hopefully tomorrow is the day that I discover some of my venerable synapses and neurons have started cross-wiring themselves for their new duties.

No comments: