Saturday, March 24, 2007

Alaska Friday

What a great day!

Yesterday I spent the middle of the day at Borders' Books. I ordered a chai and sat down to use the internet.  One thing following another, I started looking up "Learn to Fly"   and Pilot and such.  I clicked on a flight simulator to download it, not realizing that it was about a gigabyte of program.  While it was downloading (a couple of hours,and not finished yet), I looked in the flight section, and found a couple of really interesting books on piloting:   "Taking the Short Approach" and "FAA Airplane Flying Handbook."  I couldn't choose between them, so I got them both, and lucked into a 25% educator discount this weekend. Then I went outside in the snow, hit the button to heat up the back window of the car, realized I'd hit the flasher button instead of rear defrost.  Guess what? The flashers wouldn't turn off.  Pried and poked for a while, then called AAA for the nice young man to jimmy it out with his pocketknife (which took a while, even for him) and then disconnect the wires.  While I was waiting I sat in the parking lot and downloaded more flight simulator from there.  Sweet.

(maybe I could have done it myself if I was carrying my pocketknife, but I don't carry it on trips anymore just so I don't risk losing it at the airport.  How bizarre.   It's like the opposites I used to look for when I was doing the philosophy thing.  Opposites are the pointers to the key important points)

Drove downtown, wandered past the museums and other interesting places, but ended up looking for more of the coastal trail, and found it in a neat (and probably very expensive) neighborhood that's within 5 minutes walk of downtown and 3 minutes walk of the trail and the coast.  I walked for about an hour, turning around at a lagoon where people were ice skating.  (It's the place where Amy skates.).  

When I got back, I saw Amy's florist shop--very pretty, lots of classy arrangements and stuff, met Annie and the lady at the desk whose name I didn't catch.   We went to the computer store, then home to snack on apples & cheese with Jane's friend Jenny (?) and looked for places to stay in Seward. 

Today (Saturday), Amy has an interview at the radio station (voiceovers and such), so that's the big item for the day.  Tomorrow we hope to go to Seward and spend a couple of nights.   

Love youall!
Mom

Maggie Hettinger

CIA Veteran Michael Scheuer: "Every time we interfere in Muslim countries, they get more support. In the long run, we're not safer, because we're still operating on the assumption that we're hated because of our freedoms, when in fact we're hated because of our actions in the Islamic world."


No comments: