Friday, August 06, 2004

Kerry Kentucky meeting

I went to the Kerry Kentucky Volunteer meeting last night at first Unitarian Church, across the street from Abe Lincoln at the library. I got there a little late, so I had a hard time trying to park. Then I had a hard time getting in. It was tight-packed standing-room only, with people hanging outside all the doors of a fairly-large church.

I don't know the names of the speakers. The first guy was probably on the staff of the Democratic Party. (He has an office and a phone number). He said that there are "swing states" and we know that campaigning is going really strong there. But he really spoke to me, (and many there) when he said that Kentucky is a "bubble" state, which, I think means that it is important, too. (see the numbers in the post below, and you'll see how possible it is). And the folks at that meeting last night were interested in what WE can do, HERE.

The Democrat fellow (he was young, articulate, and kinda cute, if that matters), invited everyone to go to Fancy Farm (old-fashioned outdoor political rally, both (all?) parties) tomorrow (Saturday), there's a bus leaving from Democratic Party headquarters. no charge to ride. Sounds great, but I have a prior commitment. Call them if you're interested, or show up.

The next speaker was a woman, didn't catch her name, who must be the main organizer of this KerryKentucky group that started in April around a table at the Rudyard Kipling. She noted that the number of people had multiplied GREATLY since the last meeting, enough that we'd have to change plans on meeting space from now on. This is a grass-roots activity that is unprecedented at this point in the election process.

Did we know that the US has the poorest voter participation of all the democratized nations of the world? One of the numbers I jotted down was that, in this country, only 38% of those in poverty vote, and these are the most affected.

She talked about individual efforts that are inspiring. Here's one: Louis Moseson is going to Wal-Mart 1-1/2 hours on Saturdays and registering scads of people to vote (I forget how many, but it's impressive). (Makes me think I should carry around voter registration cards, envelopes and stamps. I think I will.)

She talked about Owlsley (?) Brown, a prominent Louisville Republican, I think, who is organizing Republicans for Kerry. He says, "This is not about our party, this is about the future of our great nation."

She talked about some famous Texan, who had campaigned for GWBush for governor and president, who says something like, "GB is a really great guy, but his policies are really terrible, and he messed up too many things." (Don't quote this. I was just scribbling. Find a reliable source if you need it.)

People who do business overseas are coming together behind Kerry.

Of course, she talked a lot about what she sees in John Kerry. (Go to JohnKerry.com for info)

She had all of us who had never participated in any political events before raise our hands. It was a lot of us, about 1 in six or eight. That said something, too, I think.

She said, "We don't want your money." I was glad to hear that. (We give money whenever MoveOn asks for it, and occasionally when the Democratic party asks for it, but I am tired of being hit for money and not given a better idea of what I can do personally.). There were numerous groups and people with specific activities planned that you could talk to. (College student groups, people signing up to stand outside Fahrenheit 9/11 with information, people going around apartment neighborhoods with information, etc.) She had bought Yard Signs, T-shirts, bumper stickers and buttons. She would give them away, or asked us if we would reimburse her son's college fund with a donation.

KerryKentucky has a plan. They have something called "Pledge 3" which has the materials and information to organize in neighborhoods. Basically it involves volunteering to send out letters to people who are registered, regular Democratic voters, and invite them to a meeting at your house. That group meets and plans to bring 3 other people each to another meeting. At the third meeting (I think), you all plan to contact people, speak to them, get them to the polls. Arrange to drive folks who need rides, etc. (I'm not clear on the last part. It made good sense when I heard it, and I'm going to find out what it is.)

There are trainings for neighborhood volunteers all next week, day, evening and night. If you're interested, contact kerrykentucky@yahoo.com. They'll tell you were to go. I signed up to go Monday evening at 5:30.

That's it for now.

pax,
maggie

No comments: