Sunday, August 08, 2004

Chant at St. B

We tape for Mass of the Air this week(a TV broadcast for those who cannot attend mass in person), for the 24th and 26th Sundays of Ordinary Time. Because of the 25-minute time limit, it's a very strict format that we use. This time I want to try something different, and the St. B Cantors are willing to go along with it. During Preparation of the Gifts we always play some instrumental music. I have, in the past, played chant from the Graduale on the flute, which is interesting, but somewhat lacking . However, it fits very well. So this time, I'll prepare to sing the Latin communion chant from the Graduale at Prep of Gifts, and then we will sing a song at communion that corresponds to the communion chant.

Actually that's easier said than done. First of all, I should have looked up those "corresponding" communion songs in advance. When we were planning, it had to be done quickly, and we couldn't find very good matches. (I find this to be true a lot--that there is so much more (or at least different) range of expression in the Graduale than in our current hymnals.)

24th Sunday communion antiphon is Tollite hostias, et introite in atria eius: adorate Dominum in aula sancta eius.
Word & Song gives the English as "O God, how much we value your mercy! All mankind can gather under your protection."
We're going to sing "Amazing Grace" at communion.


26th Sunday communion antiphon is Memento verbi tui servo tuo, Domine in quo mihi spem dedisti: haec me consolata est in humilitate mea. "O Lord, remember the words you spoke to me, your servant, which made me live in hope and consoled me when I was downcast."

We'll be singing "The Lord is my Light" (based on Psalm 27).

I hope we get points for good intentions.

The other tricky thing will be the acoustics at the recording session. We record in the Ursuline chapel, which has GREAT acoustics for chant, but the recording engineers are accustomed to placing the microphones directly in front of the singers, which cancels out the acoustics. I'll have to talk to them about this.

No comments: