Sunday, May 23, 2004

New Score: Ascendit Deus

"Ascendit Deus in iubilationem Dominus in voce tubae, alleluia"

I can't believe what I discovered the other day! A piece of chant that's as evocative as a film--big-sky effects, trumpet calls, real jubilation.

It's Ascendit Deus, Offertory for Feast of the Ascension, Graduale Triplex 237.

I am CONSTANTLY being surprised.

It's not what I ever expected to find in Gregorian Chant. Wow. But I didn't make this up. It's really there, in the notation. I hope I can convince a good singer to try it. (Maybe Alan.) I love singing it, but I doubt I could ever pull it off in public. WHAT A PIECE!

I wrote this one up in standard notation. It wasn't as hard as the first two I worked on. It's published on SibeliusMusic.com.


It's listed as:

Ascendit Deus
An expressive chant for singer(s) in a reverberant space.

I'm thrilled with this find. I'll try to record it soon.

No comments: