Thursday, May 27, 2004

Chant at St. Joe

We rehearsed Spiritus Domini Wednesday night. I didn't do warmups, but talked thru text and meaning. People were still having trouble with some patterns, esp. the last three alleluias.

Sunday before mass, I want to:
warm up for sound.
ask everyone to listen to the two people beside them and sing in such a way that the three of them blend.
rehearse the last three alleluias
rehearse terrarum, vocis, saecu-(u)-lorum.
Sing more softly than we rehearsed. According to my recording, we don't need to push it at all.
Sing more slowly, and with greater emphasis on diction. T's, th's are totally lost in the big church.

And I was sloppy with my own singing. I need to concentrate on a darker sound. I also need to put my score down, and conduct with two hands. For some reason, I did it all one-handed on Wednesday. ????!!

The choir has a big program for Pentecost, and this is just one piece. We didn't blend as well as before. I guess it's still new enough that we can do what we're concentrating on, but putting it all together is not easy. Also, my conducting is NOT what I want it to be.

Youth choir will sing at all the masses, too. They'll sing "Spirit, Come" as the sequence.

No comments: