Monday, February 11, 2008

Pilot's logbook

2/11/08 C-152 N89933 LOU-JVY-BRY-IKY-EWO-LOU 2.6hr

This morning I flew to Clark County, did T&G's, then to Bardstown, did touch&go's at the airport, circled over people's houses & St. Joe church, flew on to springfield, went inside and talked to the girl who works there, bought a snickers bar, flew back (circling over our house and our neighborhood and looking around), and then back to Bowman. It's the first fun flying I've done in weeks. Woohoo!

Now it's snowing!!! Inches already. I felt like Alaska coming home.

Notes:
Great conversation with the weather briefer (a 45-year veteran). Forgot to file the flight plan, nevertheless.

Runup: Waited forever for the oil temperature to get in the green. (Outside temp was what, 30ยบ?) Maybe not long enough, but I swear I saw it start to move. Then when we're taking off, it looks like its not there yet. I'll ask about it. The engine didn't die.

On takeoff, the door popped open. Same old 933 despite her new paint. Really cold with the door open today, though.

Radio issues. Transponder not relaying. Couldn't hear myself. Couldn't get to Com2, and I know which switch is supposed to do it, the one with three settings. You use it to transmit, and you should be able to hear both of them if the toggle is set to Auto, which it was. Sheesh.

Flight following and radar service thru SDF airspace worked just fine. Class D is another story.

Carmel's house is beautiful from above. So is ours. I think I've done too much Google Earth, which I enjoy, but this is SOOOOO much better. Dave Hall wasn't home, I guess. I tried to get him out if he was. Morgan said she saw me circling around her school.

2.6 hrs flight, 9.5 gal. gas remaining when we got back, so we used 13.5 gal. 5.2 gal per hour.


Neil: Radio: Auto ON. Com 1 or Com 2 to transmit, Both toggles down on PHONE to listen. I wrote it in my checklist.

Todd: Oil temp if the gauge is starting to rise it's probably hot enough. You want it to be hot enough to melt any ice that has formed in the system. .1 or .2 Hobbs or 6-12 minutes should be enough.

Neil: Check out Southwings "Conservation thru Aviation." 423.383.1536. & Ilovethemountains.org. Needs pilot (and plane) volunteers to take sightseeers to mountaintop removal. Taylor (director), Caroline (flight coordinator).

Neil: Get the movie: "Go Further"

I bought cycling gloves. My driving gloves didn't cut it for this trip. My "Herde girls" toboggan from Mom fits under my headset, though.

No comments: