Wednesday, August 01, 2007

pilot's logbook



8/1 C-152 N89933 LOU JVY LOU t&g 1.1hr ZC

Good flying tonight. There was a traffic jam at the take-off ramp, and an interesting dance when the Kosair Lifeguard jet needed to move ahead of the rest of us.

Wind was calm. So were we. Visibility was extremely hazy over Bowman and the river, but cleared over Clark County.

Better landings. Zach still talked to me some on touchdown, but it was only talk, and not a lot of that -- no physical corrections that I remember.

I talked to him a lot, saying everything that was running thru my head, which made me feel more as if I was running the show, and might have made it easier on Zach (or maybe it was just a nice evening).





At one point I asked him to do a landing. I especially like to reinforce the nose-down angles/visual for touchdown. Zach hot-dogged it a little before takeoff, holding the plane on the right wheel. That was fun. Earlier on, Zach had said wouldn't it be a great night for pictures, and of course I had the iPhone, so we did a little of that, too.

Mostly, though, I was working hard the whole time, and being "assertive" about doing things before Zach could reach in and do them. (I think he's just fast and focused.)

However, I overdid it at one point coming back home, when Tower asked us to "ident" and I kindof knocked his hand away. That would have been ok except I wasn't sure enough where the button was, and I fumbled it. But--I won't miss it again.

Afterwards, I was on the parking lot when Zach came out, and he made a point of swinging over a little to give me a thumbs up "good job."

Relief.

We're on track, I hope. This switching over has been a little difficult. Nobody's fault. Just is.

When I told Zach that I'd be coming in Monday to man the phone and whatnot, I found out that Zach and Neil are the only instructors still there. Jacob went back to school yesterday. Interesting.
---

I still need to he more consistent and aware with airspeed on base and final.

None of the touchdowns were icky, and at least a couple pleased all three of us (I include Mike, who's hanging out in my head, of course).

And the flesh and blood Mike, whom I miss muchly, should actually be on Florida if he left on Friday.

I hope it's going well for him. He always seems so sure if himself, but there might have been a few cracks in his armor about this leap. Maybe I'll drop him a note since things are looking up and I can say so. I'd much rather be telling him that I'm going to Columbus. (I think that will justifiably rate a phone call.)

No comments: