Monday, July 26, 2004

Chant at St. B

New pastor likes chant. Also tabernacle & statues all over the front of church. Stuff on the altar. (And he put it all there by the first week.) Also sermons. Bells. Gestures from the 50's. Cardboard wafer bread. (Never mind the bread-baking ministry). Liturgy committee? what's that?

I sure miss scripture-breaking, servant leadership and respect for the presence of Christ in the Assembly of the People of God. Have to find it elsewhere? Bah.

But the good thing is, I guess, he wants chant. Of course we know it. Some of it.

Most musicians have been on vacation. I filled in once or twice. Jamie asked me to sing the resp. psalm, this week and last week. Maybe I will stay in the rotation. I'd like to be cantor, and can bring guitar and flute. Think I will.

Sunday we sang Agnus Dei Mass XVIII. I led it, and parish answered strongly. Fr. commented favorably on this at the end of mass. That's a good thing. Still, it needs to be explained to those folks who don't know what's going on. Perhaps a paragraph for the bulletin and a language explanation. Not next week, though.

Next week we introduce the Lee chant Gloria (Gather #254) for Ordinary time. Choir has learned it. We'll do this a capella, too. It worked well at HT.

No comments: