Three events will be held at Chilhowee Gliderport during the Labor Day week (September 1-9, 2012):
· The SSA-sanctioned Region 5 West (R5W) Regional is a split-period contest taking place over the Labor Day weekend (Sept. 1, 2, 3) and the following weekend (Sept. 8, 9).
· The GTA (Georgia-Tennessee-Alabama) race series will hold a 3-day race during the Labor Day weekend (Sept. 1, 2, 3). GTA members will integrate within the other activities during the first weekend, and GTA pilots flying in the R5W Regional will also get a GTA score.
· A two-prong cross-country and team-flying practice camp will be held during the week on Sept. 4, 5, 6, and 7.
Pilots are welcome in all three events. Those wanting to make it a full week of fun-filled activities can elect to participate in one, two, or all three soaring events, and/or enjoy the many hiking, rafting, and other activities that the local Over-Hill area offers during the week.
R5W Regional: Register on SSA website. Contact Sarah Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration is $200 plus $43 per tow. Price of the first 2000’ tow and Saturday night dinners on the 2nd and 9th are included. Guest registration for one weekend only is $120 plus $43 per tow with one Saturday night dinner included. Extra dinners are $15.
XC Racing & Team-flying Camp: The Camp will have two parallel sessions:
· One will cater to pilots desiring to discover cross-country soaring and to pilots who are relatively new to racing. Morning lectures will focus on the fundamentals of cross-country soaring, with topics such as preparation, instrumentation, thermalling, route optimization, McCready, etc. and will also review the basics of contest flying. Based on participant’s interest, afternoon flying will include flying in small groups over small practice circuits, each group being led by an experienced mentor pilot, including some members of the US Soaring Team.
· The second session will be for more advanced and experienced pilots and will focus on team-flying methods and techniques. Morning lectures will include some materials from the US Team practice week. Afternoon flying will focus on pair-flying over practice tasks, followed by reviews, critiques, and discussions in the evening or over dinner.
Costs – $80 plus $43 per tow. No extra charge to full Region V West registered pilots.
Contact: To allow proper scheduling of tow planes, events, lectures, materials needs, etc., please let Sarah know your intent to participate in the Camp, including which session (cross-country or team-flying session) as soon as possible.