Tuesday, June 10, 2008

FAA instrument exam

When I started cramming for my FAA Private Pilot written test, I followed some pretty good advice and after doing each Gleim Test Prep chapter once or twice, highlighted the answers to just read them to learn the correct answers. That was really good advice for about half of the test--but I was sorry to have done it for those things that I didn't understand and needed to work on for understanding. Once you mark the answer, you can't make yourself do the logic like you can with it unmarked.

So this time, for instrument, I'm not highlighting yet.


I've been slogging thru the chapters, going through once doing each question, looking checking answers every page, then going back the next day (or that evening) to do the whole chapter of questions again, several times until I know all the answers and understand that chapter. Score of below 95 means do it again.

I just got to the last chapter of the Gleim Instrument Pilot Test Prep book, and I am surprised by what I found. There are six instrument flights on the FAA test to plan out and answer questions about. Since there's so much I don't know, and learning it in flight or with an instructor is SOOOOOO expensive, I'm going to take the best advantage of this that I can. I'm copying off the figures for planning sheets (they are partially filled in), and I'm going to take the information and plan the trip. THEN I'll see what the Q&A on the test will be. I'll have Dr. Gleim's discussion to review. I'll do one trip at a time. THEN I'll fly the trip on X-Plane.

No comments: