Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Chant at St. Joe

Palm Sunday is a beautiful day to be in Gregorian mode. Opening the mass with "Hosanna to the Son of David," is very direct. At both St. Joe and St. Aloysius, I taught the chant before mass as a call and response between cantor and assembly. It should be really effective if we use the same one year after year.

The best part, for me, was singing the responsorial psalm. I went to the ambo this time, because the choir is now ok with leading Gospel acclamation without me. I sang the antiphon from Today's Missal, and for the verses, I adapted the Gregorian melody of Deus, Deus Meus respice to the English texts. Wow. What an incredible experience that is!!!

I'll post those notes here, just so they don't get lost, and perhaps someday I'll look at it seriously and transcribe it to decent notation.

We sang "All Glory, Laud and Honor" for entrance, Pater, si non potest at Prep of Gifts, and for Communion: "Were You There" and "Jesus, Remember Me." Sending was organ instrumental: "O Sacred Head Surrounded." Father Tuon led us in "Jesus, Remember Me" as we knelt during the Passion, as well.

Today we also had our new worship aid booklet with the regular chant mass parts that we sing and the two psalms we usually use for communion.

I don't get any complaints about what we're doing. We DO get compliments, and Fr. Bill says St. Joe is glad to have us as.

OK.

1 comment:

Bernard Brandt said...

It sounds wonderful. I would very much like to see those notes when you post them. Do please keep up the good work. You give me hope that the RC Church will someday actually give up what C.S. Lewis called "the liturgical fidgit" and actually implement the intended liturgical reforms of the Second Vatican Council.

Happy Easter.