Friday, September 03, 2004

The Land Institute - A Story, as told by E.F. Schumacher

The Land Institute - A Story, as told by E.F. Schumacher: "Fritz engaged a local man at the station by asking, 'How are things?' 'Fine,' the local replied. 'What is it to you?' asked Fritz. 'Oh, I work on that farm over there,' he said pointing. 'I used to own that farm but I had no money to pay the hired hand, so I paid him in land. Eventually he owned all of my farm and now I work for him.'".... Click the link above to read the rest.

It's one that can restore your faith in people and the world. Just think...E.F.Schumacher, one of my old heroes, and Wes Jackson, one of my new heroes, knew each other.

It appears that this story is an excerpt from Schumacher's book-- Small is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered: 25 Years Later ... With Commentaries. Hartley & Marks.

No comments: